Vibrant in both color and flavor, this seasonal salad is a crowd pleaser. Bring along as your staple dish, or whip together for someone you love.
Recipe by Lex, with love!
Each ingredient was selected to help you look and feel your best:
Pomegranate, for a skin plumping collagen boost.
Butternut squash, for an immune boost and healthy vision.
Kale, for anti inflammatory properties to keep redness and puffiness at bay.
Honey, for an antioxidant boost to help protect you from free-radicals.
Red cabbage, for radiant glowing skin.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
4-5 large kale leaves
3 large carrots, grated
1 small red cabbage
1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped (roughly 4 cups)
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup chopped, roasted almonds
2 tbs of olive oil
salt & pep
1 tbs honey
2 tbs dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & pep
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tbs of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss until evenly coated. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool for at least 30 minutes prior adding to salad.
- Cut the stems from the kale leaves and discard. Chop the kale into thin ribbons and add to your mixing bowl. Massage the kale with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt to soften the fibrous leaves.
- Chop the red cabbage into thin strips, similar to the texture of a coleslaw. Add the chopped cabbage to the mixing bowl, along with the freshly grated carrot, pomegranate seeds, feta, chopped almonds, and cooled butternut squash. Toss the salad until evenly combined.
- To make the dressing, simply mix the honey, olive oil, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper together with a fork. Set aside until ready to serve.
This salad is best when served at room temperature. For a vegan-friendly version, leave out the crumbled Feta. Pairs well with a refreshing and sparkling white wine. Want another seasonal recipe? Try this hearty forest in a bowl
Lex is a lifestyle contributor for Fred Darling and a good friend. She enjoys baking, sustainable shopping and Paris.